On Friday 18th October 2019 we published our “Growing a stronger youth council” report. This is a summary of who participated in our engagement activities.
Over 1,800 people have shared their views, ideas and experiences with us during our engagement. We used a variety of ways to engage people who have a stake in the future of Kirklees Youth Council, with a focus on children and young people in Kirklees.
Over 1,700 children and young people in Kirklees have talked to us about being part of local democracy and civic life.
- 1,524 children and young people aged 11 to 18 took part in our survey.
Over 95% of these young people had not previously taken part in any Kirklees Youth Council activities.
- 331 children and young people in schools and community organisations took part in 21 evidence gathering sessions suitable for their age and setting.
- 72 people joined us for our 10th anniversary celebration event workshops.
- 46 past and present Kirklees Youth Councillors shared their experiences of participating in Kirklees Youth Council.
- 132 young people participated at two busy Calderdale and Kirklees Careers apprenticeship events.
- 41 young employees from Kirklees Council shared their ideas.
- 240 young people at a Kirklees Duke of Edinburgh Award Ceremony were invited to participate.
We have also heard from councillors, the Leader of Kirklees Council, the Mayor of Kirklees, the leaders of our local political groups in Kirklees, local organisations, parents and carers, teachers and 13 other Youth Councils from across the UK.