Report launch event – 30th June 2017
Join us for this special event to celebrate the publication of our ‘Growing a stronger local democracy’ report. On the day we’ll be sharing our full findings and recommendations for the future. This event also marks the beginning of our practical work to make it happen.
Please come along to hear some new ideas, meet some of the people who are already doing democracy differently elsewhere, ask questions, and take part in our practical workshops to bring the ideas in our report to life.
Full Council debate
The Kirklees Democracy Commission’s draft report was debated by all Kirklees councillors at a Full Council meeting on Wednesday 10th May 2017. You can watch our replay of the full debate, or watch our 4 minute video “Our local democracy” to hear what local citizens think…
Find out more about the debate
Growing a stronger local democracy – the debate
Watch the debate now
Our Commissioners, all Kirklees councillors and members of Kirklees Youth Council took part in a debate about the future of our local democracy on Wednesday 10th May 2017.
Preview evenings for Kirklees citizens
In April we invited Kirklees citizens to be the first to hear some of the findings and recommendations of the Kirklees Democracy Commission, and to share some ideas about what happens next.
Reviewing the evidence
Over 1,000 people have talked to us about local democracy in Kirklees and beyond. Thank you to everyone who has got involved so far.
- 88 people took part in discussions at our local democracy roadshow events across Kirklees.
- We met with the Kirklees Youth Council, Huddersfield University Students Union, partner organisations and other groups.
- 43 witnesses gave evidence during our public inquiries and evidence gathering sessions.
- 318 members of the Kirklees e-panel shared their views.
- 441 Kirklees Council staff shared their views.
- We have heard from councillors and political groups in Kirklees.
- We have visited some other councils to learn from their experiences.
- We’ve also received comments in writing, via social media, via our web site and by email.
We have reviewed and deliberated all this evidence – now we’re sharing our draft report and recommendations with our participants. You can look through the evidence too:
Local democracy roadshow
In July and August we held a series of Local democracy roadshows across Kirklees. Thank you to everyone who shared comments, questions and ideas about local democracy at these events. We’ve been looking closely at what you told us, and we put some of your questions to the witnesses at our public inquiries.
When our draft report and recommendations are ready, we’ll be sharing these with our participants to ask what you think.
There will continue to be opportunities for online participation, and we’ll have a public event to introduce the Democracy Commission’s report and recommendations.
Join the debate – keep in touch
Make sure you’re following on twitter and sign up for our email updates….
You can also email us your comments any time: