Preview evenings for Kirklees citizens
We’re inviting Kirklees citizens to be the first to hear some of the findings and recommendations of the Kirklees Democracy Commission. You can register now for one of our preview evenings. If you’re an active citizen, or if you’d like to be, and you’re interested in making our local democracy stronger, these events are definitely for you.
Reviewing the evidence
Over 1,000 people have talked to us about local democracy in Kirklees and beyond. Thank you to everyone who has got involved so far.
- 88 people took part in discussions at our local democracy roadshow events across Kirklees.
- We met with the Kirklees Youth Council, Huddersfield University Students Union, partner organisations and other groups.
- 43 witnesses gave evidence during our public inquiries and evidence gathering sessions.
- 318 members of the Kirklees e-panel shared their views.
- 441 Kirklees Council staff shared their views.
- We have heard from councillors and political groups in Kirklees.
- We have visited some other councils to learn from their experiences.
- We’ve also received comments in writing, via social media, via our web site and by email.
We are currently reviewing and deliberating all this evidence – then we’ll be sharing our draft report and recommendations with our participants. You can look through the evidence too:
We’ll keep you posted via twitter and email:
What should local democracy be like in Kirklees?
Local democracy is about being part of the decisions that affect our everyday lives. It’s about what happens on our street, in our neighbourhoods and across Kirklees. It’s important because it affects all of us.
And because it’s so important, the Kirklees Democracy Commission are working with our citizens and others to take a health check on our local democracy. We’d like you to be part of helping to shape what a strong and healthy local democracy will look like in Kirklees for the next generation and beyond.
How should we do democracy here in Kirklees?