How good is our place?
Our towns, villages and communities are the strength of Kirklees – and local people have asked us to do more to recognise this. So we’re working with citizens and colleagues to make sure that everyone has a stake in the place where they live, work or visit. Look out for activities this summer in Ashbrow, Meltham, Shepley and Huddersfield town centre.
Growing Great Places – pitch your crowdfunding idea
People make places great. Our new community crowdfunding programme will help citizens and organisations to make our local places even better. We’re pledging £50k of funding over the next year, plus advice and support to help you run a successful crowdfunding campaign. Pitch your idea before 16th September for a chance to get support from Kirklees Council.
Our Working Group for the Kirklees Democracy Commission are overseeing our practical work to grow a stronger local democracy.
Kirklees Question Time
Our latest Kirklees Leaders Question Time event was at Holmfirth Civic Hall on Tuesday 23rd October 2018.
If you missed it, you can watch our webcast archive or look back at our live tweets from the evening.
Our next event will be in 2019.
Growing a stronger local democracy
Read our report on the future of local democracy:
Published 30th June 2017
Want to catch up on an event you missed, or take a second look? You can find out what’s already happened here – stories, webcasts & more…
Reviewing the evidence
Over 1,000 people have talked to us about local democracy in Kirklees and beyond. Thank you to everyone who has got involved so far.
- 88 people took part in discussions at our local democracy roadshow events across Kirklees.
- We met with the Kirklees Youth Council, Huddersfield University Students Union, partner organisations and other groups.
- 43 witnesses gave evidence during our public inquiries and evidence gathering sessions.
- 318 members of the Kirklees e-panel shared their views.
- 441 Kirklees Council staff shared their views.
- We have heard from councillors and political groups in Kirklees.
- We have visited some other councils to learn from their experiences.
- We’ve also received comments in writing, via social media, via our web site and by email.
We reviewed and deliberated all this evidence to help create our landmark report. You can look through the evidence too:
What should local democracy be like in Kirklees?
Local democracy is about being part of the decisions that affect our everyday lives. It’s about what happens on our street, in our neighbourhoods and across Kirklees. It’s important because it affects all of us.
And because it’s so important, the Kirklees Democracy Commission are working with our citizens and others to grow a stronger local democracy, from the ground up.
Hear from local citizens in our 4 minute film
We’d like you to be part of helping to shape a strong and healthy local democracy here in Kirklees – for the next generation, and beyond.
How should we do democracy here in Kirklees?
Join the debate to help us find out.
We’ll also keep you posted via twitter and email: